2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Yamaha has a 5 year plan to reinvigorate their entire motorcycle lineup. These models will incorporate a myriad of new technologies and design elements. One of the first of those all new models is the 2014 Yamaha FZ-09.
The FZ-09 is based around a new from the ground up 847cc liquid-cooled “Crossplane Crankshaft Concept”, in-line 3-cylinder, DOHC, 12-valve engine with fuel injection. This new model incorporates the ride-by-wire Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) system, which allows for exacting throttle response by metering the correct amount of fuel to the engine. YCC-T also allows Yamaha to offer D-MODE, allowing the engine to offer different power characteristics tailored to the riding conditions.
For those of you who want something different, the FZ-09 also has a very unique exhaust sound, compliments of the 3-cylinder engine and cross over tubes mounted between each exhaust pipe. Add upside down forks, cast wheels, electronic instrumentation, and you have one incredible motorcycle.
The FZ-09 will be available beginning in September. Two different colors will be available, either Liquid Graphite or Rapid Red. And, the best news of all is that the MSRP on this all new model is only $7,990*.
Here’s the Japanese promotional video for the MT-09 (its overseas designation) since they always have better videos than what we get Stateside.
- Engine Type 847cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 12 valves
- Bore & Stroke 78.0 x 59.1mm
- Compression Ratio 11.5:1
- Fuel Delivery Fuel Injection
- Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive O-ring chain
- Suspension / Front 41mm fork; adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.4-in travel
- Suspension / Rear Single shock; adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.1-in travel
- Brakes / Front Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm
- Brakes / Rear 267mm disc
- Tires / Front 120/70-ZR17
- Tires / Rear 180/55-ZR17
- Length 81.7 in
- Width 32.1 in
- Height 44.7 in
- Seat Height 32.1 in
- Wheelbase 56.7 in
- Ground Clearance 5.3 in
- Rake (Caster Angle) 25.0°
- Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
- Fuel Economy** N/A
- Wet Weight*** 414 lb
- Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
* Does not include tax, title, license, VIT, transportation, and assembly